Help building rpm, works with f8 fails in f9

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 13:13:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 22:33 -0600, Jerry Williams wrote:
> I could use some help trying to figure out why a package builds just
> fine on Fedora 8 but fails on Fedora 9

Jerry,

The only way that package would build is if you were building it as
root. Honestly, there are a lot of things in that spec that aren't quite
right, so I'm not sure what specifically is causing the failure.

I recently gave a presentation at the Red Hat Summit on making good RPM
packages, and I think it may be helpful to you. You can find the
presentation (and a handout with fully documented example spec files)
here:
http://spot.fedorapeople.org/Summit2008/

In addition, I've reworked your spec file (and desktop file) into
something that works (and would probably pass review for inclusion into
Fedora). I would highly recommend that you compare it to your original
spec file. If you have any questions about the new spec file, please
feel free to drop me an email (or reply here).

New SRPM:
http://spot.fedorapeople.org/crrcsim/crrcsim-0.9.9-2.fc10.src.rpm
New SPEC: http://spot.fedorapeople.org/crrcsim/crrcsim.spec
New Desktop File: http://spot.fedorapeople.org/crrcsim/CRRCsim.desktop

Note: This game/simulator doesn't actually run on my rawhide system, it
does a wonderful job of corrupting the X session with rainbow color
noise and locking up my laptop, but I don't think that is a fault of the
packaging, probably a Mesa/Intel/Xorg/Rawhide bug.

~spot