PLEASE SHUT UP! Was: Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 01:21:53 UTC 2008

On Jun 22, 2008, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you could spend more time on compiler design and optimisation than
> evangelism? This is really wearing a bit thin with hundreds of emails
> with the same tune to this mailing list.

If you'd read them, you'd know this was already discussed, and it was
pointed out by other developers that the discussion was relevant.
You'd also know that we've covered several different topics, starting
with one that is hardly off-topic, sticking to some that definitely
are, while a few others were indeed better suited for legal, and
others for which there's no better-suited list.

Now, since you have clearly not read the messages you're complaining
about, why are you even annoyed by them?  Was it too hard to just
delete them?  Do you find the topic particularly disturbing or
welcome, or is it just so annoying to delete this particular thread
with a few messages a day from among the other hundreds of messages
that read this list daily?

Since this is the list where policies are debated, meetings are
called, etc, framing the discussion as unwelcome would almost make it
sound like software freedom is not welcome in Fedora.  I realize it's
(unfortunately) not consensus, but I'd hardly believe it's not
something a lot of Fedora developers care about.

Besides, it's kind of silly to wait for the end of the thread to only
then complain about it.  Odds are it would result in prologing a dying
discussion, which is precisely what you didn't want.

And then, "shut up or I'll leave" is quite tempting.  If you don't
want to participate, just don't.  There's no point in going "gimme
what I want or I won't play with you any more"; it sounds as
terrifying as similar threats from my four year old, even though I'm
sure you didn't quite mean it that way.  Heh.

Take care,