Custom DSDT Table in the fedora kernel at boot time

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 25 12:27:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:58:48 +0200 Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Email the acpi-dev-team my custom dsdt so that they can include
>it
>> in the mainline kernel :). Since this is the "missing" code that
>
>> breaks my machine, it should be send as a patch for inclussion.
>And
>
>You do not have the rights or the permissions from the
>manufacturer to
>distribute or generally make available copies of the DSDT (whether
>counted
>as firmware or not) beyond limited 'fair use' rights in some part
>of the
>world.
>
>That is one big problem with this patch - Red Hat couldn't ship
>the modified
>DSDTs without permission of each vendor or more likely whichever
>company
>they paid to do the work.

This with my dsdt in the maistream kernel (as missing code) was
just a joke. I think the kernel shouldn't collect fixes for broken
dsdt tables but just provide a way to insert a custom one at boot
time. I think it is poor judgemnt to incorporate anyones dsdt (or
other system specific code like bioses) in the mainstream kernel.

Just in case if this could have happended: at boot the kernel
should look throught a register with broken dsdt tables and apply
the "correct" one. and with new bios - should we incorporate our
new dsdt? Should the kernel check (on the millions of pcs it runs
on) for my/anyones dsdt? This is insane!