Fedora Support channels Improvement ideas

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 21:02:22 UTC 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 26.06.2008, 17:52 -0300 schrieb jeff:
> nodata wrote:
> >> I've always thought the following idea would be cool to implement. It's not
> >> IRC, but I figured I would throw this idea out there, especially now since you
> >> now have talk.fedoraproject.org.
> >>
> >> What about *free* telephone support?
> >>
> >> A rough outline:
> >>
> >> * newbie user has problem. Has no clue what IRC is. Knows what telephone is.
> >>
> >> * supergeeks live on IRC, read every message in fedora-devel (well, almost) and
> >> have VoIP software with talk.fedoraproject.org account.
> >>
> >> * Each supergeek, when available, goes to a webpage and clicks "available" to
> >> let fedora asterisk know they are available "agents" (in asterisk speek) that
> >> can receive calls from the support queue.
> >>
> >> * noob calls local number via the majick of a bunch of $2 DIDs around the world
> >> which connects them to the fedora asterisk server. "Welcome to the fedora
> >> telephone server..."  They hit "1" for support.
> >>
> >> * fedora asterisk looks at all the available agents and routes the call to one
> >> of them.
> >>
> >> "Thanks for calling Fedora support! This is supergeek $foo. How can I help?"
> >>
> >> Just an idea....
> >>
> >> -Jeff
> >>

> > Wouldn't this shift the focus away from users finding answers for
> > themselves (RTFM, essentially) and us writing good documentation?
> >
> > I can only see this being useful if it fed back into a knowledge base.
>
> Well, depending on their problem it could be as easy as just to say  "open your
> browser and go to http://wiki...." if there is a solution there. Newbies have
> trouble even finding what doc is relevant to their problem (well, not just
> newbies either....)
>
> -Jeff

Then is phone support useful?

I mean phones are very inefficient/disruptive (and not the "good"
disruptive) for this kind of thing since they prevent you from being
able to queue requests (like on irc, jabber, email, etc); they require
an instant response. Giving URLs over the phobe won't be fun either.