Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 19:46:27 UTC 2008

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/

>  > cannot be compatible with just any
> > license, but only with licenses that follow certain rules, for obvious
> > reasons.
>
> Those reasons are not at all obvious. There is never any need to
> restrict combinations of works.

You cannot allow combination with licenses that have provisions that
conflict with your license, otherwise such provisions would become
useless, it's that simple.

> > Being GPL compatible is not difficult at all, in most cases modern
> > licenses that are not GPL (at least v3) compatible, are not by choice,
> > so you should really look at both sides of the equation, you cannot
> > blame the GPL for lack of compatibility, compatibility is always a two
> > sides story.
>
> When the GPL is the only one placing requirements on the other
> components it is not a two sided story.

Can you provide an example of an incompatible license where the
incompatibility lies only within the GPL itself ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York