file dependencies and packages and [blocker] bugs

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 17:41:54 UTC 2008

Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
>> So, maybe I'm insane, but if all you want is a sans bold, etc. font - that
>> can't be more than about 20 lines of fontconfig code to look for a match
>> for the 'sans' pattern and get a filename. That way:
>>
>> - you don't have to hardcode any files
>> - you don't have to hardcode any requirements
>>

> Erm, yes and our mantra is upstream, and most of these apps are portable
> (using SDL + SDL_ttf for example), how am I going to get this upstream,
> last I checked there was no fontconfig under windows, let alone on devices
> like the gp2x.
>
> Really this is not a problem of the apps, people should stop thinking about
> this as being a problem of the apps, there are just too many apps doing
> this, this should be fixed centrally.

Let me try to understand:

You would rather:
- add 2000 more file entries to the metadata for everyone to download on every
  update
- manually track when files move and update all your packages

than:
- add and carry a ~20 line patch that absolves you from having to fix your
  packages when they change?

Bill