RFC: Page size on PPC/PPC64 builders

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 18:12:10 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 12:25:24 pm Bill Nottingham wrote:
> David Woodhouse (dwmw2 at infradead.org) said:
> > For 4KiB pages:
> >  - Makes life 'easier' for PPC builds, to stop people whining about it
> >    finding their bugs for them.
> >  - Consistent with what we actually ship in Fedora.
>
> - wastes less memory on lower-mem ppc machines. Not that this should be a
> dealbreaker, but it's something to think about.

Yeah, that's definitely an issue. Some of the ppc boxes in our internal test
setup have "only" 1G of RAM, and when the system is under load[*], you can
run out of free pages and start oom-killing stuff pretty quick w/64k pages...

[*] http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/scrashme/scrashme.git/

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com