RFC: Page size on PPC/PPC64 builders

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 21:00:30 UTC 2008

> David Woodhouse (dwmw2 at infradead.org) said:
> > > OK, then. Why would we explicitly make people build under a combination that isn't
> > > in Fedora (that they can't reproduce in Fedora) that can cause their build to fail
> > > (for whatever reason)? Do we appreciate being cruel?
> >
> > Because it finds real bugs, and because it's useful for RHEL and EPEL that way too.
>
> So does setting a different base address on the builders, or running
> a different umask, or subjecting each build to fuzz, or setting MALLOC_PERTURB_.
> Or any other variety of things which we don't do.

Yeah, we should have separate the build and test processes rather than
trying to cram all testing into the build process.  If you're having a
problem, it's useful to be able to get binaries out of Koji to test them
locally, without having to indirect all testing through Koji.

And testing may be very resource-intensive; we don't want to block the
builders on that.