system-config-network & Zeroconf

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Mar 5 21:55:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 05.03.08 16:43, Dan Williams (dcbw at redhat.com) wrote:

> > >  Are those people...looking at using zeroconf. I get the reasoning for
> > >  avoiding NM in a more controlled networking situation... but zeroconf
> > >  seems like NM's bread and butter to me... but what the hell do i know.
> > >
> > >  -jef
> >

> > How about static IPs and multiple concurrent networks? I couldn't get
> > either to work with network manager in F8
>
> A single static IP per interface works pretty well if you use the NM in
> updates-testing (svn3370) and have set it up to use static IP in
> system-config-network.  Multiple IPs per interface will come eventually.
> It'll even work before login.
>
> Multiple concurrent networks are what I'm working on right now; pretty
> good progress here and I hope to land something in the next week or so
> in F9, and when it's pretty solid it will also show up in F8.

I haven't been following NM development lately. Just wondering: is
there an option to explicitly select IPV4LL for configuring an IP
address, instead of relying on dhcp-with-ipv4ll-fallback? This could
be very useful for speeding up configuration in networks where most
likely no dhcp is around, such as wlan ad-hoc, bluetooth pan, ethernet
cross cable, usb-to-usb, ... Those ad-hoc networks are usually created
_ad hoc_ i.e. temporarily, and thus configuration should be quick. So
it'd be best if nm wouldn't do dhcp in these situations to avoid the
long timeout. i.e. what I am thinking is: besides "dhcp" and "static"
configuration for network interfaces, allow a special "zeroconf"
configuration option. For the aforementioned ad-hoc network types
default to "zeroconf", for the others to "dhcp" -- and then, allow
people to switch to the other mode if they are so crazy to have a wlan
ad-hoc network with dhcp, or a wlan infrastracture network without.

Lennart