Fedora 9 Xfce Spin - Progress Report

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Mar 6 02:41:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 19:00:19 -0500
rhally at mindspring.com (Richard Hally) wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi,

Greetings... sorry for the tardy reply. ;)

> > Fedora 8 Xfce Spin included almost all the Xfce utilities and
> > plugins, all the languages that Fedora supports and retained the
> > upstream Xfce layout. There has been some progress and some things
> > we would like to get more feedback on certain things. The entire
> > list of things being considered is documented in
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram/XfceLive
> >
> > The latest kickstart file is available at
> >
> > http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/spins/livecd-fedora-9-xfce.ks

I think I mentioned on the wiki, but could you add a changelog and
version to the comments of the ks file? Would be handy to see whats
changed and when.

> > I am highlighting some specific changes below
> >
> > Look and Feel
> > -------------
> >
> > We did not get default Fedora 8 background in the Fedora 8 Xfce
> > spin (due to a bug) and icon theme was rodent which is the default
> > icon set for upstream Xfce  You can see some screenshots in
> >
> > http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=Fedora%208%20Xfce%20Spin

Yeah. ;( Sorry about that bug...

> > The new default look and feel for Xfce in rawhide is this:
> >
> > http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/Rawhide20080303xfce.png
> >
> > As you can see, Xfce now inherits the same default background as
> > GNOME and KDE and uses the Mist icon set which is also the default
> > in GNOME currently. The hard dependency on xfce-icon-theme from
> > xfce4-panel and Thunar has been dropped in rawhide. I believe we
> > are supposed to be getting the Nodoka theme but that doesn't appear
> > to be the case yet.

Odd. It should be the default. I will do some looking.

> > There has been some discussions about the
> > default panel layout and there is a lot of different possibilities
> > including a GNOME like layout but we are likely to go ahead with
> > some changes by including the trash, mixer applet in the default
> > top panel. If there is a preference for a specific layout, let us
> > know what (include screenshots preferably) and explain why.

Yes indeed. Feedback very welcome!

> > ...snipp...
> > current kickstart file produces a nearly 600 MB image on x86
> > architecture. Any testing and feedback is most welcome. I intend to
> > continue sending progress reports on a regular basis whenever we
> > make major changes.

Excellent.

> > Rahul
> >
> Nice work!
> I run the F8 spin from a USB stick. I'm looking forward to the F9 one.
> Thanks for doing this,
> Richard

Yeah, I second the thanks!

Thanks for stepping up and making this great spin...

kevin