Suggestion for cvs tag handling

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 23:14:24 UTC 2008

On 06 Mar 2008 16:57:55 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:
>  Well, I guess you could implement Jochen's suggestion by having "make
>  build" create the immutable tag, but I kind of wonder as to the point
>  of tagging without building.

Here's the basic problem.   People find force retagging useful when
tagging something for a build, make a mistake, and the build fails.
You fix the mistake and force the retag and rerun the build.. so you
don't have to make an additional release bump just to get a new unique
tag.

I don't think I've heard anyone express an interest in being able to
force a retag after a successful build has gone through. Unfortunately
we don't have a way to prevent that.
I can go back right now and accidentally force a retag for a tagged
build that completed... killing the ability to regenerate the srpm
from the tag used when the binary that actually got built

The reason there is a desire to have koji write a tag is to indicate
that yes a build succeeded and binaries that correspond to this tagged
source are available through the fedora buildsystem.

I'm not sure make build can actually do that... write back a tag if a
build succeeded.  Because that is the ultimate goal for all of this
discussion.  Being able to regenerate the srpm for a given binary
built in our build system on an as needed basis.

-jef