Suggestion for cvs tag handling

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Mar 6 23:32:32 UTC 2008

On Fri March 7 2008, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> On 03/06/2008 06:06 PM, Till Maas wrote:
> > The goal that is going to be achieved, is that the tag (or to have a tag
> > that) is immutable only after a successful build, but not after a failed
> > build.
>
> There's of course a race there.  If you wait to make it immutable until
> after the build succeeds, there's still a period in which the tag can
> change after the build is started but before it succeeds where it can be
> modified.

The race could be avoided with this procedure:

1) make tag immutable when there is a build active using it
2) when the build fails, allow to change the tag

Btw. the initial goal is to be able to resubmit a build with changes in the
spec/srpm, without having to change the version/release. This could also be
achieved with immutable tags, but using a different scheme for them. E.g. use
an integer counter as a name to build a spec and once it is successfully
build, somehow store the tag that was used to create the build, e.g. create
another tag with the same contents but the naming scheme we currently use.

Regards,
Till