Suggestion for cvs tag handling

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 7 01:26:24 UTC 2008

Jochen Schmitt <Jochen <at> herr-schmitt.de> writes:
> in the current RESCo meeting there was a discussion about
> immutable cvs tags.

Yuck, why do we need enforcement for this at all? Why would I want to move a
tag after a successful build? If I submit a new build for the moved tag, it
will fail anyway, so why would I do that?

IMHO the check which forbids deleting a tag should also be removed, all it does
is preventing us from fixing bad tags, e.g. when devel was tagged with an
outdated common directory and thus gets a _fc8 tag, there's no way to undo this
nor to move the tag to the F-8 branch, so the only way to get the F-8 branch
tagged after such a mistake is to bump Release. :-(

Why can't we trust each other not to intentionally do nonsense with tags?
Moving or deleting a tag after a successful build won't gain me anything, so
why would I do that?

        Kevin Kofler