Suggestion for cvs tag handling

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Mar 7 13:16:22 UTC 2008

On Fri March 7 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 13:58 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> > It could be a cronjob on the cvs machine that queries koji for successful
> > builds and creates such a tag where needed. Btw. afaics the tag is only
> > needed to make it easier to know which tag one needs to checkout to get
> > the sources for a build. But one could also manually look up the needed
> > tag in koji, because it already stores which tag was used to build
> > something.
>
> And now you have a race condition.  Between the time I submitted the
> build and the time the build finished and the time the cron job got
> around to figuring out that the build finished, the tag could have been
> altered.

From Bill's mail:

| That way you still have a tag, and it's immutable, but you can try
                                          ^^^^^^^^^
| several times before adding the intended permanent tag. Like having
| "release candidate" tags on releases.

The tag is immutable, therefore it cannot be changed. But one can use several
immutable tags for the same N-V-R build a successful build, another immutable
tag is created with a name that show that this was the one used to create the
build and the same contents that the last build had.

Example:

1) edit foo.spec with version 1, release 1
2) make commit tag build
(immutable) tag is foo_1-1_fc9-build1
and it does not build
3) add missing patch
4) make commit tag build
(immutable) tag is foo_1-1_fc9-build2
5) build succeeds
6) cronjob creates immutable "alias tag" foo_1-1_fc9 with same contents as
foo_1-1_fc9-build2

The naming scheme for the temporary tags with -buildX suffix can of course be
arbitrary.

Regards,
Till