F8 kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 00:22:23 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> Is this current kernel problem acceptable? Of course not. But this is
>> Rawhide isn't it?
>
> You are aware this was an F8 kernel in question, and not rawhide,
> right?  I'm 100% in favor of breakage occurring to rawhide systems, and
> I've been using rawhide and testing for years, but more caution is
> required for the releases.

Yes I am and that is a bad thing. However just how would you expect a
developer to test this kernel on every combinations of hardware out there?
Is that not what 'testing' repos is for? And I would bet dollars to
doughnuts that those that are having problems did not test anything.
Wanna' bet?  ;-) And, without the 'testing' just how would the problems
get fixed? And since the 'good', previous, kernel is still there where,
exactly, is this 'disaster'?

> That said, I still think if the kernel fixed significant bugs, and just
> causes some users to 'be forced' to boot from a prior kernel.. thats a
> fairly minor issue whether it was a regression or not.  I would argue
> that learning what a grub menu is, and how to boot a prior kernel if
> something breaks, is a barrier to entry for a Linux user and should be
> considered as such.
>
> I would never dream of installing linux on a person's computer and NOT
> telling them what that boot menu is doing.

Good for you. Many don't do that. It shows up all of the time that *most*,
not *all*, but most Linux Newbies install Fedora, or some other
distribution, without reading anything about it. No docs. No release
notes. No errata. Nothing. So just how do you fix that? And do you want to
know what I think the motive is? *Free* software. Stuff that they would
have to buy if they used other OS's.

let me say that I was *not* attacking anyone here. I think that you do a
fantastic job. But? Well 'things' to happen and then 'things' get fixed.
And there should not be a panic when that happens.
--

   David