F8 kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:10:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:05:12 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:

> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-2103
> >
> > It's an update of the type "you didn't play the guinea-pig while the
> > kernel was in updates-testing, so you deserve the breakage when it
> > appears in the stable repo".
>
> Somebody has to test; this time not enough people did.

It was not even requested. No deadline either. Some of us would give it a
try, but we can't be everywhere. Especially not if such a kernel update
goes unnoticed and is pushed to stable after less than a week already,
which makes the window during which to fetch the update from a nearby
mirror even smaller. Further, I'm still not sure what impact negative
feedback has. Please do read through the comments and notice the
dates. Later, on one list, it was ruled that the update is supposed to fix
more bugs than it causes regression. Those people, who reported problems,
were ignored. Effectively, you punished one part of the community for not
testing, and you punished another part of the community for testing,
because they could not stop this update from hitting the stable repo.

> I hate to see the blame
> being lumped on kernel devs for letting this get pushed when they cannot
> possibly test it on all hardware.  For lack of testers everyone must test.

Make the "must" more explicit. Require tester feedback, or else extend the
testing-period and ask for more feedback. Explicitly request confirmation
of bug-fixes.

> If more people with the ability to handle recovery of their machines would run
> with updates-testing enabled all the time this sort of thing wouldn't happen as
> much.

Uh, not that argument again, please. As I've written multiple times in
related threads, I *would* enable updates-testing again as I've done for
quite a long time. But for that to happen I'd like to see whether my
feedback is valued or not. In several test-updates my -1 in bodhi has been
ignored (last with k3b breaking DVD burning), and incidents like that tell
me that testers are not appreciated.