perl 5.10.0 is in rawhide!

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 15:12:17 UTC 2008

You may notice that there are a lot of updated packages in rawhide
today... this is because perl 5.10.0 has arrived!

Like any major version update, there are bound to be a few bugs lurking
about (which is why we got it in before the feature freeze). In
addition, it is possible that I missed some perl-dependent packages in
my rebuilding frenzy. If you see any packages in rawhide which are still
storing files in the 5.8.8/ vendor directories, please file bugs.

We got a tremendous amount of help from the perl 5 porters community,
especially Andy Armstrong, Nicholas Clark, and Rafael Garcia-Suarez.
Without these folks, we would not have been able to meet the Fedora
deadline.

Thanks also go out to the Fedora Perl SIG, who were very helpful (and
patient) while I got this done.

Several packages were obsoleted by base perl and have been
dead.package'd and blocked in rawhide:
perl-Archive-Extract
perl-Archive-Tar
perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib
perl-Compress-Zlib
perl-CPANPLUS
perl-Digest-SHA
perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder
perl-ExtUtils-ParseXS
perl-File-Fetch
perl-IO-Compress-Base
perl-IO-Compress-Zlib
perl-IO-Zlib
perl-IPC-Cmd
perl-Locale-Maketext-Simple
perl-Log-Message
perl-Log-Message-Simple
perl-Module-Build
perl-Module-CoreList
perl-Module-Load
perl-Module-Load-Conditional
perl-Module-Loaded
perl-Module-Pluggable
perl-Object-Accessor
perl-Package-Constants
perl-Params-Check
perl-Pod-Escapes
perl-Pod-Simple
perl-Term-UI
perl-Time-Piece
perl-version

If you have a package which depends on libperl, and doesn't rebuild,
make sure you have "perl(ExtUtils::Embed)" as a BuildRequires (in
addition to perl-devel). Most packages use ExtUtils::Embed to determine
where the perl-devel headers live, and can't find them without it.

A few additional changes were committed with this release:

- Fedora is now tracking all of its patches in patchlevel.h
- The "sitedir" and "sitearch" directories are now located
under /usr/local, to make it very clear that files installed by CPAN did
not come from Fedora packages (they still work fine).

Thanks again,

~spot

ps. OMG PERL!