default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:39:08 UTC 2008

Casey Dahlin wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Valent Turkovic
>> <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Fedora Live CD target audience are desktop users, right? I as a
>>>  desktop user haven't seen any need for / partiton over 8-10 GB.
>>>

>> HAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>> My wife has 10+ gigs of just digital photos, and its just vacation
>> pictures.  And she's pretty much the epitome of a "desktop" user.
>>
>> I know "desktop users" with small children and digital cameras who
>> blow through 20 gigs of space in personal photos in under 6 months.
>> And then once you get into digital video you blow through 100's of
>> gigs of personal home movies in mere weeks.  All of this activity has
>> become pretty common "home desktop" activity, for certain people.
>>
>> I think your concept of "desktop usage" is extremely myopic and
>> doesn't take into account the explosion of personal data that is being
>> driven by personal digital media.  I'm not even talking about crap
>> like retail entertainment media that people purchase or steal.  I'm
>> talking strictly about digital media that "home users" are creating
>> with the digital devices and then organizing and editting on their
>> "home desktop" computers which isn't meant for public sharing.
>>
>> -jef
>>

> Why are all those people storing their files on the / partition?
> Shouldn't they be in /home :)
>

> Jef, I think you missed that Valent was talking about a / separate from
> /home
>
> --CJD

Jef's argument still basically applies... the question is how to size each
partition, and the answer is unclear in all cases unless you are the person
intending to place the data on the drive... where the rubber meets the silicon.

Do you make / only as big as necessary and /home everything else?  Sounds
good... unless you've got a 15Gb drive and default to dropping 10Gb into / and
suddenly realize that user probably was going to operate on a MUCH smaller base
install because of limited space.  This cannot be guessed, even if the drive is
small the proper proportions are very unclear.  That 15Gb drive may be intended
to be filled with every package Fedora has to offer and the user only requires
1Gb home, enough for config files and intends to keep all their data on an
external share.

Any guess is possibly wrong.  Keeping the entire install in / makes good sense
to me, and I'm one who always partitions extensively, keeping some homes intact
since RH8.