default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:14:36 UTC 2008

2008/3/10 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:

> Jeremy Katz wrote:
>  > On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:19 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>  >
>  >> 2008/3/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
>  >>
>  >>> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 13:34 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>  >>>  > Is that on purpose and if it why?
>  >>>
>  >>>  Guessing how much space you'll need in your non /home partitions over
>  >>>  time is difficult.  Only you know how your install will be used.  That's
>  >>>  why the installer defaults to the easiest thing to guess;  How much boot
>  >>>  space you'll need, and how much swap space.  However since you know how
>  >>>  your install is going to be used, you are best to make those estimations
>  >>>  and setup your /home as you want it.
>  >>>
>  >> Fedora Live CD target audience are desktop users, right? I as a
>  >> desktop user haven't seen any need for / partiton over 8-10 GB.
>  >> Servers, and other fedora usages may need some other partition schemes
>  >> but a default home user has huge benefits from a dedicated /home
>  >> partition.
>  >>
>  >
>  > The amount has changed pretty significantly over time.  I actually set
>  > up my machines with a separate /home and am lucky that I get new
>  > machines pretty frequently -- otherwise, I'd be running out of space on
>  > upgrades :-)  Also, you have to take into account disks that aren't
>  > "huge" or people who are dual booting and don't want to dedicate 30+
>  > gigs to Linux.  There's a bug (don't remember the # offhand) with some
>  > discussion of what some of the proper ratios might be, but there
>  > continues to not be closure on what is "right"
>  >
>  > Jeremy
>  >
>  >
>  Why only /home ( if this path should be taken )..
>
>  I think the current setup is the right one, the experienced end user can
>  change the
>  partition layout if he wants to do so and the novice end users never has
>  to worry about

I have the complete opposite view than yours. There should be a better
default configuration with /home partition that works for most novices
and expert users can customize is because they actually understand
what needs to be done unlike novice users.

>  resizing his /home partition because Anaconda or himself configured it
>  to small to begin with
>  When his ( novice end user ) disk is full it's full.... It's better to
>  give him a full cakes than to thin slices :)

If the partition is under 8GB then it would be better to have only one
partition, but for anything beyond that there should be an 8GB / and
all spare space allocated as /home partition.

This is only a first thought that could off course be refined but IMO
much better than only one / partition.

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/