default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 22:23:36 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> of view.  I explained why separate /home and not other partitions like
> /var and others... did you read my initial post?

Er, yes, your original post asked why there wasn't a separate /home by
default.  In turn, I've asked why there should be one.  Thusfar I've read:

1. To make wiping and reinstalling easier.

2. To keep / from running out of space by user activity.

Was there anything else?

Reasons against changing the default:

1. You end up with a smaller /, possibly too small.

2. You end up with a smaller /home, possibly too small.

3. Rebalancing the two is complicated and can't be done online.

There are technical challenges to overcome on both sides of the default
behavior.  I usually upgrade as opposed to doing a new install, so this
reason doesn't really mesh with necessity for me.  Also, some will have
a shared /home making any space allocated to /home go to waste.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com