default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 22:41:27 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> 2008/3/10 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 15:56 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>>  > 2008/3/10 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
>>  > > On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:19 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>>  > >  > 2008/3/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
>>  > >  > > On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 13:34 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>>  > >  > >  > Is that on purpose and if it why?
>>  > >  > >
>>  > >  > >  Guessing how much space you'll need in your non /home partitions over
>>  > >  > >  time is difficult.  Only you know how your install will be used.  That's
>>  > >  > >  why the installer defaults to the easiest thing to guess;  How much boot
>>  > >  > >  space you'll need, and how much swap space.  However since you know how
>>  > >  > >  your install is going to be used, you are best to make those estimations
>>  > >  > >  and setup your /home as you want it.
>>  > >  > >
>>  > >  > >  --
>>  > >  > >  Jesse Keating
>>  > >  > >  Fedora -- All my bits are free, are yours?
>>  > >  >
>>  > >  > Fedora Live CD target audience are desktop users, right? I as a
>>  > >  > desktop user haven't seen any need for / partiton over 8-10 GB.
>>  > >  > Servers, and other fedora usages may need some other partition schemes
>>  > >  > but a default home user has huge benefits from a dedicated /home
>>  > >  > partition.
>>  > >  >
>>  > >  > It is probable that new users aren't aware that /home partition as a
>>  > >  > dedicated partition has advantages and it would be best if anaconda
>>  > >  > makes the "smart" partition scheme in which /home is a separate
>>  > >  > partition in LVM volume, or a logical partition. Separate home has
>>  > >  > lots of advantages that you are aware of, so why not just change the
>>  > >  > partition scheme to take advantage of that?
>>  > >
>>  > >  Those users could read the Installation Guide, which talks about this
>>  > >  exact situation and how to set up partitions that make sense.  I don't
>>  > >  think it's unreasonable to expect that new users who are going to
>>  > >  install should read the document that tells them how to do it.  There's
>>  > >  not a lot we can do for people who won't read.
>>  >
>>  > Where on the Live CD can I see the Installation Guide?
>>
>>  Putting the IG on the Live Image isn't a good answer.  Carrying all the
>>  languages we'd need to make that a good solution would knock other stuff
>>  off the already cramped space.  However, we should link to the IG from
>>  the site where the Live Image is downloaded.  People can download a copy
>>  to read offsite, or read it off the Web.  I've already made a note on my
>>  draft for the new download workflow, at
>>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/Drafts/NewGetFedora .  And of
>>  course, whether we link or provide it directly probably doesn't impact
> [...]

Actually, this reminds me of something else that I think Fedora could do
much better, namely, providing recommended kickstart configurations for
various uses.  It would be dirt cheap to populate the LiveCD and the
base install media with a few different kickstart profiles, including a
"desktop novice" profile.  This wouldn't change the default behavior
(and thus would not piss off lots of people) but would still accomplish
your goal.

	-- Chris