default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 08:25:54 UTC 2008

Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> of view.  I explained why separate /home and not other partitions like
>> /var and others... did you read my initial post?
>
> Er, yes, your original post asked why there wasn't a separate /home by
> default.  In turn, I've asked why there should be one.  Thusfar I've read:
>
> 1. To make wiping and reinstalling easier.
>
> 2. To keep / from running out of space by user activity.
>
> Was there anything else?
>
> Reasons against changing the default:
>
> 1. You end up with a smaller /, possibly too small.
>
> 2. You end up with a smaller /home, possibly too small.

You are right, but if you have read other branches of this thread you
will see that some good ideas have come forth. Like not making /home
separate if free space <15GB and some similar ones.

> 3. Rebalancing the two is complicated and can't be done online.

Also there are some have found a solution to that with "maintainance"
mode to chich you boot into... and that ideas are also being refined in
this thread.

> There are technical challenges to overcome on both sides of the default
> behavior.  I usually upgrade as opposed to doing a new install, so this
> reason doesn't really mesh with necessity for me.  Also, some will have
> a shared /home making any space allocated to /home go to waste.

I agree that there are technical challenges to overcome and my vote is
always to try to overcome then than to leave them unresolved.

Valent.