default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Benjamin Kreuter ben.kreuter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 13:15:58 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 09:00:55 Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Anyway, I was talking about /usr and /var, not about /home.
>
> /var can have substantial write activity in some scenarios (busy mail or
> database server, or anything with a lot of logging) and it can improve
> performance to put it on a separate disk drive (not just a separate
> partition) to eliminate head contention with other work.  But this
> wouldn't apply to a typical single-user workstation setup.  There's not
> much reason for /usr to be separate from anything else these days except
> that in theory you can mount it read-only or nfs-mount it, sharing among
> identical machines.

The whole point here is that new users should see / and /home as the default
layout, because that is what experienced users do and there are good reasons
for it.  New users are not likely to be setting up their machines to use an
NFS mounted /usr directory; if they are experienced enough to do this, they
are probably not new users (or they are just new to Fedora and not to *nix),
and they do not need to be told that /home should be separate (are are likely
mounting /home as NFS as well).

-- Benjamin Kreuter

--
Message sent on: Wed Mar 12 09:10:54 EDT 2008