Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 14:42:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 14:29 +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Then consider any user in non-latin1 locale. For example, my locale is
> Russian. I have no "é" on my keyboard...
>
> Well, I can use cut and paste, when I have a mouse and the text is
> already shown on my desktop.
> But what I have to do, when use just the cmdline interface? IOW, without
> any GUI -- just the Linux console, or remote ssh session? How can I fill
> the "é" character then?

You use the compose key like most the world has been using for a long
time.

System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Keyboard -> Layout -> Layout
Options -> Compose Key Position.

Personally I have it mapped to capslock, so that I can do <capslock> e '
which results in é

(setting aside the fact that compose key seems broken in rawhide...)

--
Jesse Keating