/var/lib/gdm oddness.

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 20:39:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 20:25 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> The manpage you are looking at for stat() is bogus. Both the Linux and
> POSIX man pages for stat()  document EACCESS and many many other possible
> error codes you must expect from stat().

Ah, right.  What I rather meant was that if you had permission to
readdir() the parent to get a valid pathname, and your system isn't on
fire (no EIO), "normally" the function can't fail, though I had
forgotten about ELOOP.
I don't think there is a way using the plain POSIX permissions schemes
to get stat() to give you EACCES; e.g. chmod 000 won't do it.