Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Thu Mar 13 10:14:34 UTC 2008

ons 2008-03-12 klockan 16:47 +0100 skrev Hans de Goede:

> And then, when we reach step 3 (like with F-12), we can discuss all the
> perceived usability issues, atm unicode package / filenames should simply not
> be used!

RPMs will probably always need names that everyone can type. That limits
it too Latin-1 (regardless of encoding) at most which is really not
enough to make the extension of the allowed character set worthwhile.

Maybe RPMs need two or more names, first a technical one in simple ASCII
and then one or several long ones in full Unicode. It could even include
whitespace. Some thought need to go into separating translation and
transcription, but that should be doable.

/abo