Beecrypt retired

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Mar 13 17:26:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:18:46AM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> Fedora as an entity of Red Hat is restricted by the rules and
> regulations of the United States. That includes certain export
> restrictions that require regular reporting and ok from US agencies in
> charge of Encryption. Similar regulations exist in other countries in
> Europe (France, Russia,  and Germany I think, but those regulation may
> have gone away or not as enforced) and Asia. So every package that
> contains encryption has to be registered and gotten at least a token
> approval before it can be shipped, updated, etc.

This is a fairly good reason not to ship it then. Maybe there could be a
page somewhere in the wiki stating the state of affair, just like there
is for licenses (and patents stuff). It should be part of the review to
notice somebody in charge of registering it. Also the boundary of what
is crypto should be defined somwhere. Are the code doing hashes (like
md5 sums) crypto?

--
Pat