Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Mar 13 17:47:50 UTC 2008

Le jeudi 13 mars 2008 à 17:47 +0100, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :
> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 09:41 -0500, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > Transliterate/translate them to ASCII.
> > >
> > This is a proposal I am strongly -1 to.
>
> IMO, you are making fuzz about nothing. For most languages such native
> transliterations exist.

IMHO you are woefully unaware of the fuzziness of a transliteration
process. Transliterating is akin to showing a colour to people and
asking them to write down its RVB value (without using a colour picker
tool). Some people will guess close, very experienced people will guess
mighty close, but there's no way the results will be accurate or
consistent.

And that is without taking national sensitivities into account. You may
not care people transliterate your name but that's not the case of
everyone.

Hell, many English-speaking people object if you force them to use
orthographic rules of other English-speaking zones, and that's not even
converting to another language, in another alphabet, of Names (not
random words), using rules defined by another (maybe unfriendly)
country.

--
Nicolas Mailhot