kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason...

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:25:18 UTC 2008

2008/3/10 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:
> This has been going on of depending on kernels shipped with FC6-8 I
>  noticed it...
>  ( HW: Dell inspiron 6000 ) ( yes with the latest kernel FC8 )
>
>  Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason bX on CPU 0.
>  You have some hardware problem, likely on the PCI bus.
>  Dazed and confused, but trying to continue....
>
>  Can we fix this messages somehow it's kinda misleading, it
>  suggest that the hw is failing when in 99% it's a buggy driver..
>
>  When I read "You have some hardware problem" I think
>  my hardware is failing and I need to backup my data
>  and replace the part that is failing....
>
>  Better would be..
>
>  Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason bX on CPU 0.
>  I have been feed [ driver X ] buggy driver ...
>  Dazed and confused, but trying to continue....

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a radeon card, using latest rawhide.

As I mentioned yesterday, I had seen these errors a few months ago but
they went away.

Yesterday I had 3 NMI's in the space of about 4 hours. In each case, I
had just selected a menu or submenu and it had just finished being
drawn to the screen.

I turned off compiz and haven't had an NMI all morning. If you're
using compiz you might want to give that a try.

That does tend to point to a buggy driver.

darrell