PackageKit and default update strategy

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Fri Mar 14 18:47:49 UTC 2008

So, Jeremy helped me 'flip the switches' to turn PackageKit into the
default GUI package installer and updater for the F9 beta.  Pup and
Pirut are still available, but not installed by default.  There will no
doubt be bugs. There are some places where PK lacks functionality that
pirut/pup have.

Here's the current bug lust, please check it before you file.

http://tinyurl.com/3awtcp

Also, I thought it might be a good time to revisit the default update
strategy.  Right now, gnome-packagekit provides an update icon similar
to puplet.  The default configuration is to just notify the user that
updates are available.  Some people have suggested applying security
updates automatically as the default configuration.  I personally like
the idea, but I suspect that some people will not like this behavior as
the default.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood