Empathy/Pidgin? [Was: Re: rawhide report: 20080313 changes]

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Mar 15 16:44:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 16:48 +0100, Andrea Dell'Amico wrote:
> I remember there was a time, immediatly after 2.0 was released, that
> pidgin reconnected immedatly after the network was up, like the other
> applications that talk with networkmanager (dbus?) do.
> pidgin and xchat-gnome are the only two that need to wait for a timeout,
> I don't know if it's the right behaviour.

Actually I think this is related to NetworkManager.  Upon resume from
suspend, NetworkManager service is crashing, due to not being able to
get back on dbus.  I think there is a race with user authorization to
get back on the bus, and thus NM crashes.  Things that are expecting to
find NM information then crash, like pidgin, and virt-manager.  This all
seems a bit fragile, but I bet if we can keep NetworkManager from
crashing upon resume, these things will stop crashing too.

--
Jesse Keating