Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sat Mar 15 22:35:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:02:22AM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> non-ASCII glyphs or consists solely of non-ASCII characters, there is no
> "name" the user can refer to. It is a serious usability regression. It

The command line is unicode

> What would happen during package review with an application that is
> completely in German without any English message object files?

Why should that be different to English or Chinese ?

> # service ???????? start
> Starting ???????? services:                                     [  OK  ]
>
> In xterm that name displays as white-space, in Emacs with interleaved
> white-space, in Sylpheed without white-space.

Diddums. We already use UTF-8 names in translations for the starting xxx
service strings and it just works. Yes you need the fonts to match your
locale but that has *NOTHING* to do with package naming.

> Keeping English (AE and/or BE) as the project language helps against
> community fragmentation.

By excluding anyone who doesn't fit your little clique. You can totally
avoid fragmentation by having one distro user only btw ..