Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Mar 16 17:05:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 18:11 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 07:44:28AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > One of the problems I have with "ban packages with unicode names" is
> > > that it doesn't consider what to do when a package name upstream is
> > > non-ASCii.
> > Transliterate/translate them to ASCII.
>
> Bad idea unless done very carefully.
Correct.

> 1.	While its trivial to transliterate German there are many languages
> where a naiive[1] transliteration causes a complete change of word meaning.
What makes you think, German is different?

(Germ.) Bär -> naively (broken) transliterated: (Germ.) Bar (Engl.) bar.
(Germ.) Bär -> (correctly) transliterate: (Germ.) Baer == (Engl.) bear

> 2.	In some cultural contexts transliteration of personal names (if they
> end up in package titles) is considered rude.
I consider forcing users to learn to type Chinese, Thai, French
(arbitrary examples) charsets just to be able to install a package to be
utterly rude.

Ralf