Evolution not picking up email

Lamont Peterson lamont at lamontpeterson.org
Mon Mar 17 03:21:06 UTC 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 04:01:30 pm Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some reason, evolution has stopped downloading my email. Sends fine,
> won't drag it down despite there being >2000 emails on the server.
>
> I can access the server via webmail and ping it as well, so I know it's up
> and kmail recognises the number of emails on there.
>
> Is there anything I can try to get it to download? I'm not seeing any
> problems if I run it from the commandline either.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

I would try to respond with suggestions to help you, but as you're not able to
download messages ...

When it comes to problems like that with evolution, I would suggest wiping out
your ~/.evolution/ (or have they changed the name?) directory.  You will lose
all of your configuration, cached emails, etc., so you'll have to reconfigure
everything from scratch.

Of course, if you use POP instad of IMAP, that will make things a bit more
difficult for you.  Either set up your own email server to push them to, then
pull them back, export them or otherwise back them up or switch to IMAP.

I'm afraid that I can't provide any more specific ideas.  There isn't much
information about your issue to work with, but I also completely gave up on
Evolution a while back (2-3 years ago, now).  Perhaps an avid Evolution-er
can be of greater assistance.
Lamont Peterson <lamont at lamontpeterson.org
[ http://lamontpeterson.org/ ]
GPG Key fingerprint: C51E DD83 B03F D147 A974  939C 5D13 289C 17F1 FFBE