Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Mar 17 19:22:13 UTC 2008

On Monday, 17 March 2008 at 14:21, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:14:50PM +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> > >gui tools for a reason and pango is happy doing pointy-clicky things with
> > >other locales.
> > >
> > >Alan
> >
> > You must think of CUI.
>
> Pango - output not input. We don't need to be able to type them just
> click on them.

I disagree. Should we introduce non-ascii characters into package names, I
want to be sure that it is possible to type them in a command line. While
you may choose to ignore CLI users, don't assume that everyone shares your
opinion.

> I do agree btw that Kanji in an RPM name would be quite difficult, and it
> would only be appropriate in very unusual cases (if any).

Well, if you allow one non-ascii character (for example, é), you have to be
prepared to go all the way, otherwise people will keep pointing at the former
and saying "But you allowed THAT one!".

Regards,
R.

PS. Not that I'm in favour of non-ascii characters in package names, but I'm
    playing devil's advocate here. :)

--
Fedora contributor http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DominikMierzejewski
Livna contributor http://rpm.livna.org MPlayer developer http://mplayerhq.hu