xorg intel driver in rawhide

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 18:58:07 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Is anyone having interesting effects with the intel driver in rawhide?
I upgraded to rawhide the other day and I must say its awesome. Its
going to be another great release :-)

But the intel driver is a bit interesting. With compiz enabled I get a
crash quite regularly. X either restarts and puts me back to the login
prompt or locks the machine up (machine might be OK but I have no way
to remote access it via ssh to see). It seems that the crash mostly
happens when alt+tabbing between apps. I think that might be when most
of the cool effects happen (firefox running seems to make that more
regular).

It also seems some of the backlight stuff is a bit weird. It doesn't
seem to remember the settings any more. The increase doesn't work
until you hit decrease (which initially increases the brightness) and
then its OK.

Also when compiz is turned off (maybe with it on too but it won't run
long enough) I get a flicker every couple of minutes, sort of like a
slight timing issue, which while not a major issue as its still usable
it makes it annoying.

Anyone else seeing similar issues? BTW its a intel 945 chipset on a HP
Compaq nx7400.

Cheers,
Pete