xorg intel driver in rawhide

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 19:20:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

>  But the intel driver is a bit interesting. With compiz enabled I get a
>  crash quite regularly. X either restarts and puts me back to the login
>  prompt or locks the machine up (machine might be OK but I have no way
>  to remote access it via ssh to see). It seems that the crash mostly
>  happens when alt+tabbing between apps. I think that might be when most
>  of the cool effects happen (firefox running seems to make that more
>  regular).

There was a long discussion the other day about NMI's on Dell laptops
with the ATI driver. I suspect this is a similar problem with the X
server, only showing itself in a different driver.

>  It also seems some of the backlight stuff is a bit weird. It doesn't
>  seem to remember the settings any more. The increase doesn't work
>  until you hit decrease (which initially increases the brightness) and
>  then its OK.
>
>  Also when compiz is turned off (maybe with it on too but it won't run
>  long enough) I get a flicker every couple of minutes, sort of like a
>  slight timing issue, which while not a major issue as its still usable
>  it makes it annoying.

On my laptop at work, NV driver, when gdm starts up the backlight is
turned off. If I switch to runlevel 3 and startx then the backlight
remains on. Eventually, even with all the power manager and backlight
settings set to 'never', the backlight turns off. I have to reboot the
machine.

darrell