FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-03-20

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Mar 21 03:09:13 UTC 2008

> Fedora is about showcasing the latest technology, if each time a new technology
> is introduced, we have to wait months to get a packaging guideline for it, and
> all packages using the new technology are blocked on that, where does that
> leave us?

I've always viewed guidelines as being a codification of best practices
that have been proven in production. With that in mind, the whole idea
of writing guidelines *before* packages have been put in to production
is completely backwards. The writing of new guidelines should go
hand-in-hand with the deployment of the first few "new technology"
packages. It shouldn't block it. The finalization and ratification
should happen *after* they have proven themselves in practice.