Suggestion Next Release

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Mar 22 06:51:35 UTC 2008

Diego Escobar <dezone24 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> With this ideas my suggestion is to include many software by default on
> Fedora (Especially in Fedora LiveCD)

I'm afraid the live CD spins in particular are already very space-constrained,
there's simply no room to add more software onto them! Otherwise, we'd have to
require a DVD or a special overlong CD, and unfortunately that tends to be a
problem in the exact same countries where Internet connectivity is a problem.

> OpenOffice

Sorry, there's no way this is going to fit onto any of our live CD spins, ever.
OO.o needs a CD on its own!

> Linux Terminal Server (tsclient)
> Vino
> Yumex

While those (and amsn which you added in your followup) aren't size hogs by
themselves, small packages add up, so our live CDs have to make a choice
somewhere. There's simply no room left for those, and some of them are
redundant with tools which are on the live CDs (Yumex does the same thing as
Pirut/Pup in F8 and PackageKit in F9, amsn's functionality is covered by Pidgin
on the GNOME Live spin or Kopete on the KDE Live spin, which both also handle
several other protocols).

Note that the KDE Live spin does include a VNC and RDP client (Krdc, which is
part of kdenetwork).

> Fedora Frog (Easy front-end)

This one can't be included for legal reasons.

> Nautilus (always use browser by default)

This is a default settings issue, it has nothing to do with download sizes.

> Livna
> Freshrpm

Same remark as for Fedora Frog.

And the livna-release package isn't that much to download anyway! The packages
are, but they all aren't included in Fedora for a reason, so they can't be
added.

        Kevin Kofler