Application for GSoC Project - Extend Bootchart to support SystemTap

Parantapa Bhattacharya joiguru at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 11:32:53 UTC 2008

Hi List

I am a student form India who wants to participate in this years GSoC for
Fedora. I want to do the project "Extend Bootchart to support SystemTap"
or "A visualization tool for SystemTap" for fedora. But I am a bit more
inclined in doing the Bootchart support rather than creating a GUI.

I am a fourth year student of doing by Bachelor of Engineering degree
with Information Technology major. I am confident in C, XML and have
acquaintance with Java, python and pygtk.

I have done a little project, creating an extension for the file systems
in Linux. It currently works only on ext2 and ext3, but is very portable.
The system keeps a log of who `opened' a file and when he `opened' it along
with the modification, access and change times of the file. All the data
generated is transmitted over the network to a remote machine for logging.
I haven't submitted it for inclusion in the kernel, as I felt that the
project was for use in some specific situations only and not for all.
Presently I am working on a paper describing the project.

I think I will be able to successfully complete either of these projects
in stipulated time, with expected results.

However since I am not a regular user of SystemTap or Bootchart, I am not
very sure what would be the expectation of the systems that I will be
creating. Thus I would be really glad if you can help me write the
detailed deliverables and other things for the application.

Thanking You

--
Parantapa Bhattacharya
irc nick: joiguru