kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sun Mar 23 19:43:57 UTC 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 01:42 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> > I can understand moving firmware loading to userspace a lot of the
>> > time,
>>
>> That's not what this is about.  Moving firmware loading anywhere won't
>> make the firmware non-Free, it would just paper over the issue.

> I disagree. For _Fedora_, that's precisely what this should be about.

That's not the reason why *I'm* doing this work.

I wouldn't oppose if people patched the 100% Free kernel by
(re-)introducing stuff that depend on loading non-Free firmware, as
long as the firmware itself is not included in the 100% Free kernel
(not even its sources).

I'm just not interested in doing this work myself.  It's much simpler
for me to simply remove the offending code.