Suggestion Next Release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 05:15:17 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:

>> And when they go more than a few folders deep they'll still be annoyed
>> at all the useless still-open windows left around even if they expect
>> them.
>
> Not necessarily.

How can anyone possibly want all of the intermediate windows left open
when they really just want to get to some deep path location?

>>> A person new to nautilus spatial browsing but who has experience with
>>> linux may find it surprising, and so will someone who has experience
>>> with Windows Explorer but who has never seen Apple OS.
>>
>> The finder in OS X doesn't clutter my screen that way - at least in
>> 10.5.  What Apple OS do you mean?
>
> Thats because Apple has chosen not to make it default behavior, not
> because it is not included.

And that's because Apple makes some effort to give people a better
experience.

>  Take a look in the Finder preferences and
> you'll find it right there (always open in new window) and then set your
> finder mode to icon view (cmd-1) and start browsing spatially.

But I don't want to browse spatially.

> OSX will
> behave very similarly to Gnome when you've done that, remembering window
> placement for any directory you have opened.

I'll control that myself, thank you.

> Whether it is the default behavior is not something I'm really concerned
> about, only the perception that it is somehow 'wrong' because you don't
> like it.

No option is 'wrong' if a user sets it himself. In that case it isn't
anyone else's business. The default behavior is the only one where you
can pass judgment.

> I suggest you go have a look through gnome development mailing lists for
> discussion on spatial browsing if you really are interested (especially
> if you want to argue it should not be the default for upstream).  You
> might also find this [1] interesting (see point 6).

If I understand point 6 to mean that spatial browsing relates more
closely to physical objects, that makes sense and is why I don't like
it.  If I wanted things to be as inconvenient as physical objects I
wouldn't be sitting at a desk using a computer.  I want the objects to
come to me, not to be frozen in some inconvenient distant space.  And I
want them to clean up after themselves better than things in the
physical world.

> This thread is one more example of why HCI is still (3 years after this
> blog) in the stone ages.. because people continue to demand things work
> the way they first learned them to work even when it makes very little
> sense from a perspective of how a human might best work with a computer.

I'm not demanding things to work the same as I first learned them, I
just want changes to be for the better, not worse.  The problem is not
so much about the attributes of spatial windows, although I much prefer
to control those attributes by my view instead of having them attached
to the object itself, the real problem is that opening unwanted windows
is a side effect of navigation.  I don't want to have to remember some
unnatural action for navigation vs. end point choices and I want an
explict 'open a new window' when I reach locations that I want left open.

> And interesting read [2] on why the 'desktop' itself is a poor interface
> destined to be forgotten and left behind as we learn to interact with
> our computers in far more complicated ways.

No argument there, but again, I want the objects/options to come to me,
not to be hiding in locations distant from my mouse pointer, especially
as screens get bigger.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com