IceWM Gnome issues

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Mar 24 10:53:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:58:59PM -0400, Eric Mesa wrote:

> When running IceWM and then launching a Gnome program such as Rhythmbox, it
> replaces my background with Gnome's background.  I tried this on my Ubuntu
> machine and in theirs, it does not replace the background.  In Ubuntu I
> have Icewm, icewm-common, and icewm-gnome-support installed.  It may be
> worth exploring what's in icewm-gnome-support to see if we can port that
> over to Fedora.  In Fedora I have icewm-1.2.35-1.fc8 installed.

In fedora there is also icewm-gnome. But I am not sure that there is
something in that package that leads to a different behaviour. I had a
look in the .deb and didn't found anything evident.
usr/bin/icewm-gnome
is just a wrapper around icewm. /usr/bin/icewm-menu-gnome2 is in
icewm-gnome in fedora.
usr/share/icewm/contrib/config-fix.pl seems to be for menus.

The only possibility I see is
/usr/share/gnome/wm-properties/IceWM.desktop
though I doubt it a little.

I attach it to that mail, please put it in
/usr/share/gnome/wm-properties/

and see if it works better.

If not, you could try to remove icewm-gnome-support on ubuntu and see if
things change.

But my bet is that the reason why it is different is different, mabe
linked with the way icewm sets its background in ubuntu, or the way
gnome applications take over the desktop in fedora.

--
Pat