Buggy network connection causes very low system responsiveness

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Mar 24 14:51:49 UTC 2008

2008/3/24 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:

>  Just happened to experience the issue once again and the dead state was
>  long enough to run the first command (and wait for the connection and
>  terminal). I placed the results on my fedorapeople page:
>  http://mso.fedorapeople.org/debug/gnome-terminal.log.gz

The /etc/hosts issue that came up elsewhere in this thread is almost
certainly the problem; if you have an empty /etc/hosts nothing will
work sanely.  My guess is you have some software installed which is
doing bad things to it - maybe a bad dnsmasq configuration, or
something else.

But as for the strace; I forgot to add the "-r" option which gives you
timestamps, which we really need to debug this.