kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 06:15:42 UTC 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 16:43 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>> I wouldn't oppose if people patched the 100% Free kernel by
>> (re-)introducing stuff that depend on loading non-Free firmware, as
>> long as the firmware itself is not included in the 100% Free kernel
>> (not even its sources).

>> I'm just not interested in doing this work myself.  It's much simpler
>> for me to simply remove the offending code.

> That's fine. But off-topic for this list.

I'm not sure what you're referring to.  Can you please be more
specific, and cite what is violating list topic and why?

I don't know that plans to change kernels upstream are on topic here,
but it's definitely not something I've suggested myself.

What I'm talking about is perhaps adding a new package to Fedora, and
one that is Free Software and is in line with Fedora's stated goals.
If that's not on-topic here, where is it?