kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 17:21:36 UTC 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 03:13:12AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>> First, we need a 100% Free kernel in Fedora.

> For Free read useless.

I'm running the kernels I posted on my main home server and at the
laptop from which I'm typing this message.  A single counter-example
should be enough to disprove this statement, but I got two.

> More sensible approaches like kernel-firmware.rpm work better.

'sensible' and 'Work better' for what goal?

Next, people would start talking about 'pragmatism', because that's a
favorite argument of certain people to oppose principled approaches,
as if being pragmatic didn't embed the very notion of working towards
a certain goal (often a different one) and within certain principles.