F9 Beta release announcement

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:14:20 UTC 2008

2008/3/25, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> Ah, spring... when a young penguin's fancy lightly turns to thoughts
>  of... Beta testing!  Yes, spring has sprung, and so has the Beta release
>  of Fedora 9!
>
>  The Beta release is the point at which we really want and need the wider
>  community's help with testing.  Beta is a point of much greater
>  stability in Fedora's development branch, but some fixes continue to
>  occur to improve usability, performance, and stability.  This release is
>  great for early adopters and Linux enthusiasts!  The Fedora 9 Beta boots
>  on the majority of systems, and gives you an idea of how the final
>  Fedora 9 will look and feel.  Most importantly, we absolutely need
>  community assistance to check features and provide feedback and bug
>  reports, to help ensure that Fedora 9 is our best release ever.
>
>  Some highlights of Fedora 9 Beta:
>
>   * GNOME 2.22, with new features like a helpful world time clock, better
>  file system performance, security improvements, power management at the
>  login screen, the ability to dynamically configure displays, better
>  Bluetooth integration, improved podcast support, and many other
>  enhancements
>   * KDE 4.0.2, which includes a brand new desktop and panel with many new
>  concepts, integrated desktop search, a brand new visual style called
>  Oxygen, a new multimedia API called Phonon, and a new hardware
>  integration framework called Solid -- all integrated by Fedora's KDE SIG
>   * Firefox 3 Beta 5, featuring a native look and feel, desktop
>  integration, the new Places that replaces bookmarks, and a reworked
>  address bar

i personally don't see the new firefox look and feel as a improvement

>   * Support for resizing ext2, ext3 and NTFS partitions during install

and ext4? wasn't that gonna be in as well?

>   * Support for creating and installing to encrypted filesystems
>   * PackageKit, a cross-distribution package management solution with a
>  complete yum backend, designed to unify different distributions'
>  software management with the latest technologies

This has my attention! could this eventualy replace the yum and
apt-get (and ebuild etc) we know today?

>   * Kernel 2.6.25-rc5
>
>  And numerous other improvements and enhancements.
>
>  The full release notes are available at:
>  http://fedoraproject.org/f9-beta-relnotes
>
>  Getting it:
>  ===========
>
>  The Beta release is available through the following download methods:
>   * (recommended) BitTorrent, an efficient and easy distributed
>  file-sharing system
>   * Jigdo, an alternative system that reduces download size in some
>  situations, or for people who can't use BitTorrent
>   * direct download from a mirror location near you
>
>  To download, visit:
>  http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease
>

>  More Information:
>
>  For more information regarding the Beta release, please visit the
>  release notes page:
>  http://fedoraproject.org/f9-beta-relnotes

For the rest:
Congratulations to the entire fedora team + copmmunity on the Fedora 9
beta release! I'm downloading it right now to test it out. I hope i
can get my Nvidia drivers working.