kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 04:43:42 UTC 2008

Benjamin Kreuter wrote:
> In the context of trying to ship a free kernel, but not cripple half our
> users' systems, it makes sense.  Why should proprietary drivers for hardware
> the user doesn't even have been there?  Perhaps the user will need them in
> future, but them, why not just make a package that is clearly labeled and
> easy to find?

In the context of a user wanting his system to be free from using proprietary
drivers... how can it possibly 'hurt' him to have drivers for hardware he
doesn't even have be present on his disk.  This thread and effort seems entirely
pointless to me.

If the user who is so concerned with their freedom actually has hardware that
does not need or benefit from these bits, then they aren't being used.  What
they use is free software whether there are proprietary bits somewhere on the
disk or not... 'shipping' bits that don't get used is completely innocuous.