Fedora 9 beta - livecd-iso-to-disk

Philip Ashmore contact at philipashmore.com
Thu Mar 27 01:20:01 UTC 2008

After downloading Fedora-9-Beta-Live-KDE-i686.iso I mounted it using
fuseiso.
I discovered this "livecd-iso-to-disk" in the LiveOS folder on the image.

As it requires root privileges I dutifully changed directory as root to
copied the file to somewhere root could access it.
I set aside some hard disk space, created a 730MB partition as vfat and ran
# sh livecd-iso-to-disk <isopath> <usbstick device>

After a little while it finished and I dutifully rebooted.
The grub boot prompt gave me the normal live cd boot options plus "boot
from local disk" - this took me straight back to the grub menu.
"No problem" I mused, "I'll fix it once I've booted the live image".

The live image booted OK, but I noticed that the fan on my Dell Inspiron
8000 was running almost continuously, and the new desktop theme
(Oxygen?) didn't have an applet that showed CPU / memory / Network usage.
In konsole as root I ran
# grub -> setup (hd0,0)
but it failed stating that it had a problem with the live image devices
(sorry no paper / camera handy).

In the end I ended up installing Fedora 8 (from a physical CD) to
_another_ partition so that I could do
<Add "single" to the kernel command line to enter single user mode for
F8 boot>
# mkdir /mnt/boot
# <mount boot partition as /mnt/boot>
# grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda <= this
depends on your hard drive set up.
# shutdown -r now

I tried filing a bug report in RedHat/Bugzilla against "Fedora 9 Beta
KDE live CD" but I couldn't find an entry, so I'm posting here.

Basically this script should be smarter in two ways.

1. Know if the partition is on a disk that already has grub installed in
the boot sector and just update the grub directory (easy?).
2. Allow a "full install from ISO" to the specified partition and ask
questions afterward (harder?).

Philip