inittab vs. /etc/sysconfig/init for runlevel 3/5

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 17:24:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 11:45 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 01:57:08PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 02:53:31PM +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> > > Hi.

> > > At the very least leave an inittab file that contains a note that it
> > > is not used anymore. Much better than having to find out the new
> > > structure on your own.
> >
> > Yes, it should have a comment pointing to /etc/sysconfig/init. And on a
> > related note where can you configure the starting of mingetty/agettty
> > processes for serial consoles / text consoles,

/etc/event.d/tty[1-6] and /etc/event.d/serial

>  and where do you override the default C-A-D handling ?

/etc/event.d/control-alt-delete

There should probably be comments in the new /etc/inittab that point
people to these files (and a mention of a reference for event file
syntax). Something like:

# inittab is not used by Upstart.
# This file is provided for informational purposes only.
# CHANGING THIS FILE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
#
# To set the default runlevel, see /etc/sysconfig/init
#
# System initialization is started by /etc/event.d/rcS
#
# Individual runlevels are started by /etc/event.d/rc[0-6]
#
# Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete
#
# Terminal gettys (tty[1-6]) are handled by /etc/event.d/tty[1-6]
#
# Documentation on Upstart event handlers can be found here:
# http://upstart.ubuntu.com/getting-started.html
# http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/Stanzas

Optionally you could keep the old inittab junk after the comment, for
historical reasons and/or backwards compatibility for people who want to
install sysvinit.

-w